Saturday, April 24, 2010

I'm proud of my kids on ANZAC Day

Even though we live in a small community, the people of our area get together for a lovely little service each ANZAC day. We meet at the Red Fox, and march across to the Monument where the Fire Brigade has seat up seating and a sound system. We have a number of speakers, hymns, and the other bits and pieces of the ANZAC service that never fail to move me to almost tears. Daddy is the MC, and gets better with every year he does it.
I was so proud of my kids today. They were fantastically well behaved, maybe they were absorbing the solemn atmosphere, but I could not have asked for better behaviour. And at the end, when we were laying the wreaths, I took Makayla, and Ann took Conrad, and together we layed the wreath that the kids had made at Playcentre. We had made one each for all the kids from clay, shells and cutout flowers and leaves, but unfortunately they broke in transition. But they did it so well, with such solemnity, that tears came to my eyes as we returned to Dowah and Jesse. They really are awesome kids.

This afternoon we were watching the Gallipoli Dawn Parade on TV. Makayla informed me they were at the Fox and that she was there. I was amazed she could relate what was on TV to where we were this morning. So cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment